Monday, June 9, 2014

My New Skill: Painting Restoration........ The Turn---- has turned.....

One of my favorite paintings got damaged during my recent exhibition- the hanging wire broke and the painting fell straight down.  It didn't sustain any very serious damage, just chipped paint in about 8 places.  It seems that the fall just added to a problem with the painting.  I had made the mistake of using cold wax with the oil on a flexible  surface.  And I believe the addition of the wax contributed to the cracking-- big learning!

Oil paint films are brittle- canvas is flexible.  That should be a no brainer- acrylics on canvas, oils, wax on panels.  SOOOOO--- yesterday I held my breath while I transferred the painting from a canvas to a cradled panel.  No small feat, as this painting is 48"x36". 

When I took the painting off the stretcher, I lined the stretcher up with the newly purchased panel and found about an 1/8" discrepancy- panel slightly bigger.  I prepared the back of the panel 2 times with Lineco PVA glue and the back of the painting 1 time with the same stuff.  Yesterday I lined up the painting, laid glue down in about 12" sections, as I laid the painting over the glue, with freezer paper on top and used my new $ 45 heavy roller to press canvas surface onto the panel.  When I was done, I applied as much weight as I could on top-- buckets of water, rocks, boards, and left it for about 5 hours.  It looks like the adhesion is good.

This morning I had to make the decision to slice off the sides of the canvas- I couldn't figure a way to apply the glue to get good adhesion.  So, I turned the painting on panel face down on a smooth surface of freezer and wax paper, coated the back of the panel with PVA, then took a new razor and sliced the sides of the canvas off so the panel edges would be clean.

I just finished mixing a stiff paste of marble dust and stand oil and applied it to the sanded, chipped areas.  Now it has to dry, is hanging in my hall wall.  What a process!  I don't want to repeat this process again!

The fun part will be painting the patched areas.  Since its a textured painting I am hopeful that it will evolve without too much stress.  Sides will be painted the same colors as before.  Tune in for my next report!

 The Turn, oil/ cold wax on canvas