Friday, December 19, 2014

ADDED THOUGHTS ABOUT ART & TEACHING

I am an artist who teaches.  Not all artists enjoy the dialogue that connects teacher with student.  It can be a draining process.  I, however, find the dialogue enriching and stimulating, a really vital part of my creative expression.  My students and I learn from each other; in fact, I learn quite a bit more than they do!  Just think, throwing out ideas to a group of creative minds- I can actually feed off their creativity-- it inspires mine!

My life has been pretty much devoted to developing and refining my skills , both in the technical realms and in my world of content-- finding fresh ways to put into a visual context my world view, my feelings and perceptions of both the world within and the external world.  This inquiry intensifies in depth and in breadth, in the use of materials and what I try to say with these materials.

This pursuit  now reaches into its 50th year and will never settle into a plateau.  Creative growth demands continual becoming.  I have a point of view, a vision. My art is my yoga. Now, with all this experience, the self critic that emerges within me  non stop, to keep me from repeating myself, that forces me to speak authentically, to keep my work fresh-- it is these qualities that draw students to my classes.  They know I will speak truly, honestly, and, usually, very much to the point.

My classes are for serious students who want to grow in their artistic work.  And I welcome you to join me.